The story of my life!


Tuesday, March 15, 2011

4 in 10

Today I read a statistic on the National Women's Law Center blog that stated that 4 in 10 women are the breadwinners of their families. 4 in 10 is 40%, which is nearly 50%, which is almost half. Obvious, yes, but astounding nonetheless.

I found this so interesting because it doesn't just mean that more women are going out into the work place, but that more men are staying home. In my mind I instantly connected this statistic (and the idea that more men are staying home) to the argument about gay marriage and adoption by gay couples. How is a straight stay-at-home-dad any different than a gay stay-at-home-dad?

I also found this statistic encouraging, not only because it's now more socially acceptable and even respectable for a woman to make more than her partner, but that family dynamics are becoming more diverse.


No comments:

Post a Comment