The story of my life!


Thursday, March 31, 2011

*Black*

Somehow all the thought provoking stuff happens at work, or maybe I'm just so bored that I have no choice but to ponder on the strange things that happen in a dress shop.

So my boss attempts to explain how a silver dress looked better on a black girl than a white girl in her broken English. She's Korean, so I'm waiting for the words to stumble out. She actually did fine, but when she got to the word "black" she whispered it. Why? I am so confused. It's not a bad word. Good God how do you go about having intelligent conversation?  I can picture it: In of A-F-R-I-C-A where there are mostly [black] people, most of them are "fairly below the poverty line".

Granted, most black people are not even from Africa. They are not African Americans. They are American American, just as I am not European since nobody in my family has stepped foot in Europe since it was like, Pangaea. I am not Caucasian either--I'm not from that Germanic region. I'm actually from Italian background. Therefore I am white, making my best friend of darker skin black. I am also a red head and she has black hair, although my other friend is a brunette. I am short, but my boyfriend is tall. I am a smartass and those who are not are boring.

Fact it, these are all descriptive words with no need to create unnecessary uneasiness. Let's save the taboo for sex. Its funnier that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment